Stig Östlund

fredag, april 30, 2021

Stolen Generations survivors from the Northern Territory are taking their fight for compensation to the courts, with legal firm Shine Lawyers preparing to file a class action against the federal government this morning. Key points: Stolen Generations survivors in the NT have never been compensated Shine Lawyers will file a class action in the NSW Supreme Court this morning Some survivors say compensation would mean proper recognition Shine Lawyers said the survivors are seeking compensation for the hurt and trauma they experienced, and for their loss of culture and connection to Country. Aboriginal artist Heather Alley, 84, is one of the 800 survivors and descendants joining the lawsuit. She lives a peaceful life with a loving and supportive family in Perth's eastern suburbs, but her life has not been an easy one – she is a member of the Stolen Generations from the NT, as were her parents. "We are Aboriginals on this land, it belongs to us, and we feel that we are not treated as we should be," she told the ABC. Ms Alley said she was forced to go to school at a hostel for Aboriginal children in Alice Springs when she was about 10 years old, nearly 700 kilometres away from her mother in the remote highway town of Elliot. She said she was beaten for things like complaining about weevils in her porridge, and only saw her mother once a year for the Christmas holidays. "I used to get flogged too with electricity wire and rope, I hated it there in Alice Springs," Ms Alley said. "I'm 84 now, and I only had eight years spent with my mother and she was a lovely woman, I loved her." "When she passed away … it broke my heart, and it took 30 years before I could call my mother's name because I loved her so dearly and I missed her so much."

TORRES SUND

Heather Alley, 84, togs från sina föräldrar vid nio års ålder. Hon är en av nära tusen personer i Australien som nu stämmer staten. Omkring 100.000 barn till aboriginer och invånare från Torressundöarna togs 1910-1970 från sina föräldrar som ett led i regeringens politik att forcera fram en etnisk assilmilering /TT-AFP

Bloggarkiv