Stig Östlund

tisdag, juli 14, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor


Ur Sonia Sotomayors inledningsanförande inför utfrågningen som startade i går och fortsätter idag:

"The progression of my life has been uniquely American. My parents left Puerto Rico during World War II. I grew up in modest circumstances in a Bronx housing project. My father, a factory worker with a third grade education, passed away when I was nine years old.
On her own, my mother raised my brother and me. She taught us that the key to success in America is a good education. And she set the example, studying alongside my brother and me at our kitchen table so that she could become a registered nurse. We worked hard.".

Det är bara att buga sig för Sonia Sotomayor. Och lika djupt för hennes mor.
Bilden: Byggnaden där USA:s högsta domstol (Supreme Court) håller till,
och där Sotomayor med stor sannolikhet snart får ta en historisk plats.

Bloggarkiv