Stig Östlund

lördag, januari 26, 2013

Australian Open

Victoria Azarenka



Final
V Azarenka, Vitryssland -
N Li, Kina 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

New York Times: "---The victory, which allowed Azarenka to retain the No. 1 ranking ahead of Serena Williams, was a tribute to her powers of resilience and concentration, considering all the disruptions and negative energy coming her way on and off court during the second week of the tournament.
When Li missed her final shot, Azarenka dropped her racket, eyes wide, and then went to the net to shake hands.
She was soon on her chair sobbing into a towel.
“It’s been a long match; it’s been a tough match,” Azarenka, the No. 1 seed, said later. “Li Na was absolutely playing great tennis. Unfortunate things that happened to her, you know, but that’s sport.
“But I’m just happy that everything I went through, I still could manage to give my best and really come out there and try to focus on my game and play tennis, that I can produce. And that’s the thing I love to do, is to compete.”
The victory was the latest major coup on a hard court for Azarenka, a 23-year-old from Belarus. Her baseline-hugging power game is a fine fit for the true-bouncing, hardcourt version of the sport.---".

Bloggarkiv