Stig Östlund

söndag, januari 01, 2012

On the ground


The Backstory of my Column on Celebrities … and Politicians
By NICHOLAS KRISTOF

Okay, okay, celebrities are not my thing. I have never in my life read People Magazine, and when I’m in the grocery store passing the scandal tabloids, I have to get page one nicknames translated by my kids to know who’s supposedly having an affair with whom. But my Sunday column ( >>  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/opinion/sunday/kristof-Angelina-George-Ben-and-Mia.htmldips ) its toe into celebrity waters anyway.
Here’s why. I’ve been increasingly annoyed with Congress, which seems to be more a part of America’s problem than the solution. The July battle over the debt limit contributed to the crisis of confidence and undoubtedly cost us jobs. And the December ruckus over extending the payroll tax cut and unemployment benefits was similarly absurd. Just as I was gnashing my teeth over our “leaders,” I came across Angelina Jolie’s new movie, which manifestly demonstrated real leadership and made no attempt to pander to lowest common denominators. And the more I thought of it, the more it seemed that there was something larger going on — real leadership in our society is often found not among our political leaders but among university and high school students, among social entrepreneurs, or even among celebrities. Obviously that’s not true of all students or all celebrities, but it’s true of plenty of them. So that’s the background of the column, and I’d welcome your thoughts on it.

Bloggarkiv